Saturday, August 12, 2006

Speed Painting

I guess speed painting is a fancy word for sketching. They are both done quick and have few details, but enough to see what it is. I think this is a good way to learn painting, because one doesn't need to fickle with details forever, just getting down ideas and strengthening basic skills fast.

Check out Craig Mullins sketch gallery. Some are very rough, but still he creates an illusion of more detail. This is an amazing gallery! Here is a tutorial explaining the basic steps of his sketching process.

The good thing with these are that you can make many paintings a day, and increase your skills very fast. I have seen many styles of speedpainting, some hinting forms with finer strokes, other blocking in big shapes, and refining from there. I will just try out different stuff to see what works for me.

No comments: